Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rolling the Beats

Here's a lovely Mashup which integrates the theme song from Magnum PI with Under Pressure and (perhaps ironically?) Bittersweet Symphony... as well as 26 other beats and vocals....


What I find personally interesting about this stuff is that I was a DJ for a disco club way back in the day.  I took pride in synching tunes by their rhythm and beat.  I worked all day long building a smooth set so that in the evening the experience for the audience was seamless.  So, these days, if I hear a DJ mixing tunes at a bar or a wedding or a Bar Mitzvah, I will literally cringe when the overlapping beats clash randomly and thoughtlessly.  Where is pride in craftsmanship?


But then, I come across something like Ithaca Audio and heave a huge sigh of relief.  They are taking the craftsmanship of the top notch DJ aesthetic into another realm.  Ok, I only had two turntables and a mixing board.  With this technology, they are doing things I never dreamed might be possible.


Is it an art form?  The tools may be new... but yes, of course it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment